I ordered a 3 piece sectional sofa from Hafer's Home Furnishings of Manteca on 2/27/09, putting a $500 deposit down. On 3/13/09 I payed the remaining balance of $3145 in full and was told at that time I would receive my furniture in 6wks. On the 7th week, I had not heard back from them regarding the status of my furniture so I went back into the facility on 5/1/09 to further inquire about when I could expect delivery. I was told at that time that it was "shipped". When asked what this meant I was told that it was "in transit" and would arrive by Monday, May 4th. That day came and went with no delivery and no contact. I was called the following day, May 5th, and told that there was a missing piece and the delivery would arrive May 8th, or the 11th at the latest. On the 11th I received another phone call delaying delivery until the 12th or 13th at the latest. When no further contact was made, I phoned them myself on May 13th at 10:20am and was told no deliveries had come in. I then left for work and received a phone call from my son at 1:50pm stating the furniture store had called asking what time I wanted the delivery made. I had him tell them I expected immediate delivery, but then received a 2nd phone call from my son at 2:20 stating he was told there was a problem with the product and they wanted me to contact them. Upon contact I was told that the product was not manufactured as I had ordered it and they would have to reorder, taking a additional 6wks for delivery. I explained to the store manager that if the present sectional did not fit my room because of improper manufacturing, that I would be refusing the product, cancel my order, and expect a full refund. Until today, I have not received any contact from management or any offers of compensation. I believe that they have conducted business in a shoddy, unprofessional manner and an offer of a "gift certificate" is not going to curb my anger and frustration over the matter. Furthermore, I expect full retribution of the $3645 I payed out and refuse to accept a 25% reduction for restocking charges. I see another fight coming on....

Christine Eighmy

ceighmy@verizon.net

(209) 858-2628

Had an Experience with Hafers Home Furnishings?

Comments

I've had nothing but good experiences from hafer's . My parents bought 2 recliners and they lent them one to use while awaiting delivery. I just bought some good quality furniture - good price, good service.

I live in Manteca and have heard several complaints about Hafers. They are a high end furniture store but do not treat their customers accordingly.

That is the very definition, in my opinion, of bad business practices. The business (by way of its representatives) made several verbal contractual promises to deliver the correct furniture on specific dates. Restocking fees are rediculous. Those fees are fraudulent, at best, if, and only if, the company breaks the contractual agreement, which was done several times over. If they do attempt to charge a 25% restocking fee (that's $911.25 for the mathamatically impaired) I'd suggest taking them to small claims court over it.

I do, unfortunately, forsee them attempting to charge that, in which case, if you have the information (times, dates, written agreement, etc.) I suggest informing, not threatening, them that if they attempt to keep any of the funds from the purchase that they would be contacted by an attorney in regards to a suit that will be filed. If, and this is a BIG IF, the company's powers that be can do math, it would cost them more to go to court than it would to eat the restocking fee.

Thank you for the enlightening article, and I hope you are able to get back what you paid in full.